Sunday, February 25, 2007

Yes, we're still here!

Well, it’s been quite a while since our last update. Seems I’ve been starting the last couple of posts that way. I will make a better effort to update our Blog a little more often. Now onto the good stuff. We have lots to cover since the last post. The best place to start is obviously to talk about Christmas.

Cathy and I went to Ottawa to spend about 10 days for the holidays. This gave us the chance to see family and friends pretty much every night. We split Christmas Eve between both our families as we truly believe in each other’s family traditions. It makes for a hectic day and night but definitely worth every minute. The next time Cathy and I are scheduled to be in Ottawa is in May. We are headed to Ottawa for Jason and Stacey’s wedding. My flights are booked, I’ll be there from the 17th - 27th. Cathy is still trying to figure out her schedule, but we’ll post her info as soon as she gets her flights booked.

Boy, this could be a long post! So let’s break it down into categories!

Parties:
Surprise Grad Party:
Cathy’s friends from school wanted to have a surprise party in honor of her graduating from the Master’s program. She successfully defended her Masters thesis the day before we left for Ottawa, so that didn’t give her girls very much time to celebrate. Sarah hosted a great little evening in her home for about a dozen of us to celebrate Cathy’s wonderful accomplishment. Coming as a total surprise to her, Cathy did give me the death stare when she walked in and noticed this was not just a dinner between two couples!! Thanks for getting this set up Sarah!

Pat’s Birthday: Well, as most of you know, this year I turned the big 3-0. And Cathy was NOT going to let me forget! Neither was about another 30 or so people!! A night out with friends was planned for the day of my birthday. So, on the 18th, Cathy said we would go out for dinner just the two of us. Seems she’s been taking notes from me on surprises. We get to the restaurant and sitting at our table, trying to hide behind menus, are Tracey, RCMPat and Denis. What a great gift for my birthday! Denis flew in earlier in the week to be part of the celebrations.

The real party, however, was on the Friday night. Cathy booked a section of the Atlantic Trap and Gill downtown. The night was spent trying to get me to forget how I celebrated my 30th!! Mission accomplished! I did manage to have a great time, and I guess I deserved the punishment I got. But I’m not sure I’ve learned my lesson yet! We’ll see…

Cathy’s Birthday: Cathy’s special night was a little lower key! We had a great dinner at our new favorite restaurant, Osaka, and then headed to True Confections for nice birthday dessert. I did offer her to play Phase 10 and take it easy on her, but I guess she didn’t want to ruin her beautiful night with yet another embarrassing loss as she didn’t take me up on it!

This past Friday, Cathy had a girl’s night out to celebrate as well. The night started at Section 3 for dinner and then proceeded at Bar None, where despite the bad music, the girls still danced up a storm!

Trips:
Denis:
As mentioned earlier, Denis was out in Vancouver for my birthday, but was also out here about 2 weeks later for training he was delivering. We took the opportunity to go snowboarding at Cypress, a local hill downtown. We are both improved snowboarders since the last time we went together, but Denis still needs to work on his jumps. He kept telling me how good he was on the ramps, but the nasty fall he took, told me otherwise! Oh sure, he’ll try and say that this story is the other way around. Not that he’s good, but that I am the one that’s terrible on the ramps. Denis, if you try, no more sushi for you!!!

Las Vegas: In between visits from Denis to Vancouver, I headed down to Las Vegas for an Ultimate tournament with the boys! We had a great time! And all I can write about this trip is…what happens in Vegas..stays in Vegas!! We stunk it up on the field going 2-5 for the weekend, but we won the party every single night!

Speaking of Las Vegas, Cathy and I are headed there for the April long weekend. This trip is her graduation gift. We’ve got lots of activities planned such as biking the Red Rock Canyon, seeing a Cirque du Soleil show (still TBD which one), hitting the outlet mall, dining atop the Stratosphere and catching the dueling pianos show at Harrah’s. We’ll be staying at the Luxor Hotel and Casino. Can’t wait!!

Big News:
Engagement:
Friends of ours, Aaron (Moses) and Lindsay got engaged in Whistler. They set July 28th as their wedding date. They are getting married in the Penticton area of BC. We’ve been invited and can’t wait for this day!

Adoption: Cathy and I have adopted a little girl from Uganda, South Africa through World Vision Canada. Her name is Espérance and our monthly donation gives her a chance for education, skills training, nutritious food, agricultural assistance, health care and safe water. This is something we’d both discussed wanting to do for some time now and we are very glad we followed through with it.

And the biggest news of all: Trixie!! That is the name of Cathy’s new Toyota Matrix. She recently purchased a 2007 Toyota Matrix XR. No more 2-hour bus rides to get out to Burnaby for work!! Trixie is navy blue with a grey interior and she is of course, automatic!! It’s been raining almost every day since we took possession, so I don’t have a nice sunny picture to post just yet. But the minute the sun comes out, we’ll make to get a picture for everyone to see.

Miscellaneous: For Christmas, Cathy and I bought a book for Denis titled, Marley & Me. It’s a book about a couple that details their life and relationship with their Golden lab. We told Denis he needed to finish the book before he left Vancouver. Unable to read the final chapters, he still left us the book for us to read. We read it and laughed, cried and recognized many of Riley’s experiences. For all dog owners and non-dog owners, we definitely recommend this book. And once you finish it, I can guarantee the first thing you’ll do is run over and hug and kiss your pup!

Well, that is our latest update. I will make an effort to update our blog a little more regularly and keep you all in the loop of what’s going on for us here on the West Coast.

Hope all is well and leave a comment to tell us how things are going!!

Pat, Cathy, Riley, Espérance and Trixie!!